COMMUNIQUÉ ISSUED AT THE END OF CONGRESS OF THE NIGERIA UNION OF JOURNALISTS, KANO COUNCIL HELD AT THE PRESS CENTER, ON SATURDAY 14TH JULY, 2018.
The congress in session resolved as follows:-
1. The congress called on the state government to establish an agency to fight against drugs abuse as it replicated federal government anti corruption commissions with Kano state public complain and anti corruption commission.
2. The congress cautions media operators against publishing fake news and images especially those that emanated from social media platforms.
3. The congress cautions political programme producers/presenters to be extra careful in their programmes to avoid overheating the polity unnecessarily.
4. The congress called on broadcast organizations to abstain from airing illicit contents in news and magazine programmes.
5. As 2019 general elections is around the corner, the congress advised working journalists to be more professional in discharging their responsibilities and called on politicians to play politics without bitterness.
6. The union commended the state government for embarking on various developmental projects across the state and appealed for speedy completion for its benefit to the society.
7. The congress congratulated the council secretary Comrade Abba Murtala for being nominated as member of NUJ Credentials Committee for the forthcoming National Delegates Conference and reminded members to pay attention to the ongoing NUJ online registration.
8. The meeting sympathized with victims of fire inferno at Kofar Wambai market and condoled the families of late Khalifa Isyaka Rabiu, Sarkin Fadar Kano, Alh. Sule Gaya and Former Director Administration and General Services of Radio Kano, Alh. Inusa Kachako over their demise.
Comrade Abbas Ibrahim Comrade Abba Murtala