BREAKING: Shehu Sani Dumps APC

By Abdulmumin Giwa

The Senator representing Kaduna Central Senatorial Zone, Shehu Sani, on Saturday resigned his membership of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Senator Shehu Sani in a letter dated October 19 and addressed to the chairman of APC, Adams Oshiomhole, did not give reasons for his action.

However sources close to the Senator said the party, even after confirming the Senator as the candidate for the zone issued the original form 002 to UBA Sani instead. This implies that the party has gone back on its words by accepting UBA Sani in his place.

The Senator wished the party well although it is not mentioned where the popular Senator is heading.

Details later.

Ganduje Video Clips: Kano People in mixed Reactions over allegation of Bribery

By Abdulmumin Murtala, Kano

Reactions from members of the Public have differed ever since the publisher of an online news medium Daily Nigerian, Jafar Jafar announced that there were videos of a governor from the North West collecting kickbacks from contractors to be made public. The larger parts of the people were shocked when it emerged that the allegation was referring to the Kano state governor Dr. Abdullahi Ganduje.

He released the first clip in which the governor was shown collecting wraps of dollars and stocking them in his pockets. The video clip had no voice because the ambiance had been removed and replaced with the sound of a flute. Reaction from the part of the government dismissed it as doctored and the Kano state Commissioner for Information Malam Muhammadu Garba described it as cloned by an antagonist of the ruling All Progressives’ Congress (APC) that has been working for the opposition. In a swift reaction Hajiya Binta Spikin, the spokesperson of the former governor and now Senator Rabiu Kwankwaso dismissed the claim saying her precedent has nothing to do with it.

As public reactions differ, especially in the political circles considering the person involved, Jafar, who sees himself as a whistle blower announced that they were fifteen video clips in all and he was going to release them one after the other.

Just a day after the reaction by the state’s commissioner for Information, who threatened legal actions against the publisher, Jafar released the second video clip in which the governor was seen without out a cap collecting wraps of dollars from anonymous persons, but this time there was the sound and the voice could be heard. It also has a transcript on the screen for non-Hausa viewers to read.

The Kano State House of Assembly could not help but react to the growing tension in the public which had started manifesting in political programs on radio, the most widely accepted source of information to the public in the state. The Speaker of the House, Alhassan Rurum announced the setting up of a seven-man committee to investigate the matter. He also called on the state government to suspend its planned legal action by one month to allow the committee to investigate the matter properly.

This even raised more tension in the public with more reactions coming from different corners. An organization that goes by the name Challi Initiative Forum staged a rally at the NUJ Secretariat in Kano condemning the publisher and the video clips. The secretary of the group, Muhammad Sani said that the negative impact of the video clip is an insult not only to the person of the governor, but to the entire people of the state and the northern region by extension.

The group went further to accuse Jafar of being partisan and condemned the suspected political stalwarts behind it. It also issued an ultimatum calling on him to immediately withdraw the video clips from circulation.

The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) wrote a letter to the Kano Commissioner of Police notifying the Command that students in the state are planning a massive protest to call on the governor to resign to allow for independent investigation into the matter in order to unfold the truth. The leader of the students union Comrade Isah Abubakar, stated that the group will hold its protest on the 29th of this month from Zoo road to the government House.

The police reacted swiftly through its public relations officer SP Magaji Musa Majia calling on the students to desist from such plans or face the wrath of the Command. He insisted that the command would not accept any attempt to politicize the matter and would not allow the thugs waiting for such opportunity to disrupt the peace being enjoyed in the metropolis.

The Police have also enhanced security in the city of Kano lest any crises erupt between rivals as they believe it is difficult for it not to be given political undertone and exploited.

A member of the public who described himself as a religious leader and would not want his name to be mentioned especially on this matter explained that the issue is that of an allegation that needs to be investigated. Until proven, it remains an allegation he explained. But room for independent investigation must be allowed if the government is to preserve its public integrity. It is not just enough to dismiss the allegation as false without any investigation. He therefore called for independent investigation even if the governor has to serve as a deterrent to others.

He further explained that since giving and taking of bribe are both criminal offences, the giver of the bribe will also be unwrapped if investigated to face the wrath of the law as well.

In another public reaction monitored on radio, the Kano State Commissioner for Rural and Community Development, Musa Iliyasu-Kwankwaso defended the state governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, on the video clip saga saying collecting kickbacks is normal in government. He spoke in a Hausa program on Freedom Radio recently explaining that though it is illegal to collect certain percentage to award contract, the practice has been rampant from federal to the local government levels. He tried to prove that even if the allegations against the governor was true, it is nothing because it is a generally accepted practice in the Nigerian system, meaning that the governor is only being insulted and molested on something everyone is engaged in.

“Since the three years of this administration, the contractors have been giving the kickbacks, why did they fail to claim that they must pay 15 to 25% before they were awarded contracts until now?

“I challenge the contractors to come out and say that they must pay the percentage before they receive contracts. This is just blackmail to the person of Ganduje. The commissioner said.

Although the Kano state governor had remained silent over the whole saga, Jafar came out to claim that multiple contractors who spoke with Daily Nigerian on the condition of anonymity said the governor personally receives from 15 to 25 percent kickbacks for every project executed in the state.

He also explained how they got the videos saying that the operation to capture the governor on camera began two years ago when one of the contractors agreed with Daily Nigerian request to plant spy camera on his kaftan lapel while offering the bribe.

He explained that during about 10 months efforts to capture the bribe giving/taking scenes, the governor’s face and body were clearly captured in nine clips, while six others did not clearly reveal the governor’s face adding that about $5m dollars were delivered to the governor in all.

Meanwhile in a recent interview with the BBC, Jafar said he received an invitation from the state and is willing to go on the condition that his life is protected from political thugs and their likes.

Ganduje Video: Kano Police Command warns students group against protest

By Abdulmumin Giwa

The Kano state Police Command has warned the National Union of Nigerian Students (NUNS) to desist from its plan of staging a protest march on the 29th of October to call on the Kano state Governor Dr. Abdullahi Ganduje to resign to allow for complete investigation into the allegation of receiving bribe from contractors labeled against him in some video clips released by an online news publisher Jafar Jafar, or face the wrath of the Command.

The Kano Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Magaji Musa Majiya confirmed to Vanguard that the students union led by Comrade Isah Abubakar wrote a letter to the state Police Commissioner informing the command of their plan to stage the protest.

“Today Tuesday 16 October 2018, a group called the National Union of Nigerian Students has written a letter to the office of the Commissioner of Police seeking permission to stage a protest march on the 29th of this month at about 10:00am from Zoo road to the Government House to call on His Excellency the Kano state governor Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje to resign and allow for full investigation into the allegation of collecting bribe on him” he said.

The police thereby issued a warning and a call to the group to desist from its plan as the police will not accept what it termed as illegal protest and the breakdown of law and order.

The PPRO further explained to Vanguard that Kano is known for political thugs who might try to disrupt the protest and create chaos in the metropolis adding that it is not in the interest of anybody to politicize the issue of the video clips.

However, the Police Command advised that anybody with any kind of grievance or advice on the matter should take it before the committee set up by the State House of Assembly to investigate the alleged bribery.

The PPRO also warned that whosoever comes out on protest refusing to heed this advice, the command along with other security forces will clampdown on them, arrest them and take them to court for prosecution accordingly.

Ganduje Video Clip: Opposition has nothing to do with it –Spikin

By Abdulmumin Giwa

Responding on the claim of the state government through the office of the state’s Commissioner for Information, Malam Muhammad Garba in a recent statement he issued, that Jafar Jafar, the publisher of Daily Nigerian, has been working for the opposition and that he is an antagonist of the All Progressive Congress (APC), the spokesperson of Sen. Rabiu Kwankwaso, Hajiya Binta Spikin says there is nothing between the publisher and the Senator.

“Everyone knows that Jafar Jafar is an independent journalist, his medium the Daily Nigerian is also independent. There is no any deal whatsoever between him and Dr. Rabiu Kwankwaso. So if they are suspecting anything is left for them to prove it” she stated.

Spikin further expressed worry with the way the matter is being handled as though it is the state that is being accused by imploring state resources in suing the publisher. She explained that it is governor, Dr. Abdullahi Ganduje that should take responsibility of the accusations against labeled against him and not the state.

“It is an individual that is suspected to be involved in the crime and not the state government. So it is wrong to implore state resources in pursuing the legal processes. The Attorney General and the commissioner for information should not be involved. It is rather the person being accused that should defend himself” Spikin explained.

She however hoped that no matter how bad the matter gets it would be resolved amicably

It would be recalled that the publisher of the Daily Nigerian, an online news medium, has released two video clips showing the Kano state governor Ganduje collecting wraps of dollars suspected to be kickbacks from contractors.

This has raised a lot of concern in various segments especially as the state is a stronghold of the ruling APC and the election season is heating up.

Yoruba Youths commend Obasanjo for reconciling with Atiku

A Pan-Yoruba group, Yoruba Youth Forum, YYF, recently commended former President Olusegun Obasanjo for forgiving former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar in the interest of Nigeria, saying the decision has portrayed Obasanjo as a genuine leader.

In a statement by its Chairman, Olusegun Abiodun Bolarinwa said that the action of the former President has shown that he still has the interest of Nigerians at heart.

“We want to specifically thank former President Olusegun Obasanjo for finally accepting the apology of his former vice in the interest of Nigerians. Many Nigerian voted for APC because they thought the party will be able to improve their lives but today the party has made a mess of every sector of our national life. The economy today is in total mess. During the electioneering period President Muhammadu Buhari and his party, APC made promises which many of us believed.

“Some of us believed in those promises not because we were fools but because those promises came from Buhari, a man we once vouched for his integrity. But, today Mr. President none of those promises has been fulfilled. Nigeria has fared badly under President Buhari.

“We believe that Atiku Abubakar will perform better than Buhari having served in Obasanjo’s government. We are appealing to all sons and daughters of Yoruba to rally round and support Atiku Abubakar as our next President come 2019” he said.

Ganduje sues Daily Nigerian publisher for defamation of character

By Abdulmumin Giwa

Kano state government has decided to file a criminal case against the online publication Daily Nigerian and its publisher Jafar Jafar on defamation of character after it released a video clip showing Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje involved in an inappropriate conduct collecting hard currency and pocketing it.

This was made public by the state’s Commissioner for Information, Youths, Sports and Culture Malam Muhammad Garba in a press statement made available to pressmen recently.

The Office of the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice is challenging what it describes as the implausible and eccentric posting of the cloned video that went viral in a court of law considering its gravity accusing Jafar of mischief and discrediting a public figure by wielding non-existent scandal against him.

“A mere observation of the cloned video clearly shows that the video is doctored and disjointed with no material facts or evidence to prove the allegations, other than a callous attempt to tarnish the hard earned image of the office and the person of the Governor” the commissioner stated.

“The Governor of Kano State wishes to once again that he emphatically debunk the allegation of receiving gratification of $5Million or any amount whatsoever from any person or anybody” he added.

The Commissioner drew public attention to the conduct of the publisher who he described as “a serial blackmailer and extorter”. He claimed that the government is aware that the hidden motive is to reduce the popularity of the Governor and consequently affect the anticipated quantum of APC votes from Kano in the 2019 general elections.

While the state government is taking the legal action Garba assured the people of Kano that the governor will remain focus and will continue with laudable programmes that will add value to the lives of the people of the state. He finally called on the general public, especially members of the ruling APC to remain calm and always be law abiding.

BREAKING: Names of those on Buhari’s travel ban list revealed

Thirteen former governors and seven former ministers, all facing corruption trials, were among the 50 men and women that make up the travel ban list under Executive Order No. 6 issued by President Muhammadu Buhari.
The restriction followed the judicial affirmation of the constitutionality and legality of the order.
The watch-list and restriction were put in place pending the conclusion of the cases against those affected.
The former governors barred from leaving the country are: Saminu Turaki (Jigawa), Murtala Nyako (Adamawa), Adebayo Alao-Akala (Oyo), Gabriel Suswam (Benue), Rasheed Ladoja (Oyo), Orji Uzor Kalu (Abia), Danjuma Goje (Gombe), Attahiru Bafarawa (Sokoto), Muazu Babangida Aliyu (Niger); Chimaroke Nnamani (Enugu); Sule Lamido (Jigawa); Gbenga Daniel (Ogun); and Ibrahim Shehu Shema (Katsina). The affected governors belong to both APC and PDP.
On the list also is the former National Security Adviser, Colonel Sambo Dasuki (rtd),
Two female former ministers , Nenadi Usman and Jumoke Akinjide also made the list, along with Bashir Yuguda, Bala Mohammed; Abba Moro; Femi Fani-Kayode; and Ahmadu Fintiri.
Others include a former Chief of Defence Staff, Air Marshal Alex Badeh; ex- Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral A. D. Jibrin; a former Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Mohammed Dikko Umar; a former Inspector-General of Police, Sunday Ehindero; and a former Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Adesola Amosu; Chairman Emeritus of AIT/ Raypower, High Chief Raymond Dokpesi; Waripamowei Dudafa (a former Special Assistant (Domestic) to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan); a former Chief Judge of Enugu State, Justice Innocent Umezulike; a former judge of the Federal High Court, Justice Rita Ofili-Ajumogobia;
Also on the list are a former National Publicity Secretary of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Olisa Metuh; Chief Jide Omokore; Ricky Tarfa; and Dele Belgore (SAN).
Most of the affected persons are currently facing trial for alleged corrupt practices in different courts.
*Reported by The Nation