Sheikh Zakzaky: Case adjourned to March, Court instructs be allowed to see personal physicians

By Abdulmumin Giwa

The case before Justice Gideon Kurada of Kaduna High Court where the state is charging the leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky of abetting murder has further been adjourned to the 25th of March.

Addressing journalists after today’s sitting, the lawyer representing the state government, Bayero Dari said that the court has instructed them to adjust their charges and charge Sheikh Zakzaky and his wife alone.

“The court wants us to simply go and separate the charges and charge Malam alone and his wife and continue hearing” he stated.

This is because the third and the fourth accused persons have not been reached by the government’s counsel.

Dari further declared that they were ready to continue with the case today and have even come with some of their witnesses but they have to go and adjust their charges to reflect only Sheikh Zakzaky and his wife Zeenatuddeen Ibrahim.

Addressing newsmen after the court case, the lawyer representing Sheikh Zakzaky, Femi Falana SAN explained that Sheikh Zakzaky and his wife were shot by the Army in December 2015 and since then they have not been given the adequate medical attention they require and hence the need for them to get the required and sufficient treatment to face the trial.

“The fact that since both of them were shot by the army in December 2015 they have not been given adequate medical attention, therefore they have to allow them remain alive so that they could stand for the trial” he stated.

He further explained that they have applied to the court directly to give them urgent medical attention or on the alternative to have them flown abroad for medical treatment.

The senior advocate also stated that it is apparent that the government doesn’t have enough medical facility to take care of them having not done so for the past two years now.

“Malam has lost an eye as he was shot in the eye and the second eye has developed glaucoma. In the case of his wife the bullets in her have not been totally extracted after two years. She is suffering excruciating pains currently” he explained.

Falana then mentioned that there is no way both of them can stand trials in the condition in which they are.

He therefore said that the government lawyer undertook that adequate medical attention would be provided adding “we made it clear that government is not in a position to provide adequate medical care and we applied that the personal physicians of both of them be allowed to also examine them and provide them with medical treatment”

Responding to question on where they are going to be treated, Falana stated that the government doctors and their personal physicians will agree on where they are going to be treated.

We condemn America’s detention of Press TV Anchor -IMN

By Abdulmumin Giwa

The Islamic Movement in Nigeria has issued a statement signed by the President of the Media Forum of the Movement Ibrahim Musa condemning the abduction of Marzieh Hashemi, the Press TV anchor.

The statement called on concern groups and individuals to voice out against the oppression of the journalist by the FBI.

It also condemned the silence by the rights groups who are looking the other way pretending they are not aware of the crime.

Below is the complete statement:

We condemn America’s detention of Press TV Anchor

The Islamic Movement in Nigeria finds it appalling to learn that Press TV anchor, Marzieh Hashemi was kidnapped from St Louis Airport on January 13 as she arrived to visit her sick brother and other members of her family including her daughter. The FBI took her to Washington DC and did not allow her to contact her family for more than two days. When she finally contacted her daughter, she gave a harrowing account of her ordeal. Her hijab was forcibly removed, she was denied proper clothing required of a Muslim woman and refused proper halal food. She was given pork to eat, which as a committed Muslimah, she flatly refused to touch, as required by her religion.

What on earth has she committed that warrants this maltreatment by the US authorities? She has not been charged with any crime—what possible crime could a TV anchor commit? Yet she has been locked up in a prison cell as a common criminal and given a prisoner number. And as at the time of writing this press statement, all that a court in Washington could say of her detention is that she is a ‘material witness’ in an unspecified investigation.

It is disheartening the way various Western bodies that claim to protect the rights of journalists have remained silent in the case of Marzieh Hashemi. So far, there has been deafening silence from these self-styled champions of free speech.

Meanwhile, there has been strong reaction in the social media to Marzieh Hashemi’s kidnap and detention by the FBI. People have roundly condemned such brazen disregard for the rights of a US citizen. We advise people to write to their political representatives, media outlets and human rights organisations to bring awareness to this case and demand her immediate release.

By this arrest and continued detention, the US is portraying itself as an outlaw regime, while it presents itself to the world as if it is governed by the rule of law. The murder of another Journalist, Khashoggi remains fresh in our mind. If the Saudis will be castigated for not following due process, why should the Trumps in the US government not be so accused in this brazen arbitrary arrest of Marzieh Hashemi? We therefore unequivocally call for her unconditional release from detention.

We are also urging everyone to please intensify efforts in Prayers, Tweets & even possible rallies and street actions, demanding for her immediate & unconditional release.

The Islamic Movement in Nigeria will forever be grateful to Marzieh Hashemi, who has also been very influential for the increased rate, scope and magnitude of how Press TV covers issues related to Shaikh Zakzaky, his wife and the Islamic Movement in general. She was so determined to visit Nigeria for a Special Documentary on Sheikh Zakzaky and the Islamic Movement before this crude detention.

SIGNED BY

IBRAHIM MUSA

PRESIDENT MEDIA FORUM OF ISLAMIC MOVEMENT IN NIGERIA

Skype: Ibrahim.musa42

20/01/2019

Sisters Forum in Kaduna condemn Elrufai of using the Zaria massacre to campaign for reelection

By Abdulmumin Giwa

Female members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, The Sisters Forum in Kaduna have on Monday condemned the Kaduna state governor Nasir Elrufai of allegedly using the mass killings of the members of the movement in the state to campaign for his reelection.

This was made public in a press conference organized by the Forum in the metropolis to commemorate the third year of the Zaria massacre and call for the immediate and unconditional release of their leader Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky.

Part of the statement signed by one of the victims of the massacre who lost five children and is herself still receiving treatment of bullet injuries, Sister Jummai Karofi reads “As if these are not enough, Elrufai is using these crimes against humanity to campaign for his reelection through inducing sectarian hatred and causing disunity among adherent of the Islamic religion in the state as he is doing between the Muslims and Christians of the state as well.”

The forum also stated that over 1000 members of the movement were extra-judicially killed when the Nigerian army launched a clampdown on the Zaria headquarters of the movement in December 2015. It stated that 287 women, 197 children, 23 pregnant women, and 39 families are estimated to have been completely wiped out in the army assault on the unarmed members of the movement.

The group further condemned the Nigerian army for using undue force on innocent unarmed citizens while hiding behind a concocted traffic offence thereby completely violating its rule of engagements.

They further accused President Muhammadu Buhari of total disregard to law and order for refusing to obey the court order releasing and compensating the leader of the Movement Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky saying “With total disregard to law and order, the Muhammadu Buhari government has acted in total contempt of court by refusing to obey the court order directing the unconditional release and compensation of our leader as well as provision of a residence for him within a specified period of time.”

They condemned the government of gross impunity and genocide against the movement even when they stage peaceful protests calling for the release of their leader which has led to further killings destructions and cropped up charges in court falsely accusing their leader of abetting murder.

They declared to continue their struggle to the logical end using all available peaceful means to seek redress and justice.

“We shall as a Movement continue to seek redress on the injustices meted against us using all available peaceful means for which we are known. We also wish to remind our killers that whatever power they feel they are exploiting to reign terror on us is never and will never be as strong as that of Almighty Allah on who we depend” she finally stated.

KNSG speaks over court order against Gov, wife, calls for calm

By Abdulmumin Giwa

Kano state government says it is deeply shocked by the antics of desperate politicians bent on scampering the gubernatorial candidature of Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje in the forthcoming election by banking on a court order purportedly issued by an Abuja High Court, seeking an accelerated hearing in a suit to compel EFCC to arrest and prosecute Ganduje’s wife, Dr. Hafasat.

A statement signed by the commissioner for Information, Youth and Culture, Malam Muhammad Garba also expresses surprise at the timing of the release of the court order ostensibly dished out to embarrass Dr. Hafsat Ganduje, saying that the order is a fabrication and does not exist.

It says to further indicates the extent of their desperation to mortify the person of Governor Ganduje and the APC government, the plaintiff in the suit, the Incorporated Trustees of Hope Development and Empowerment, filed the case in November 2018 and December 10 was fixed for mention but were neither in the court nor were their representatives, ‘’only for them to release the purported court order at this material time.’’

Equally disgusting, the statement indicates further, the arrest and prosecution of the governor’s wife and substitution of the governor’s name by the APC as its candidate in Kano were not included in the plaintiff’s prayers.

‘’The plaintiff requested the court order to grant substituted service of the writ of summon, hence for them to serve the defendants through Kano state Liaison House in Abuja which was what the court granted,’’ the statement adds.

Malam Muhammad Garba therefore assured that the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice is handling the matter and called on the good people of Kano state and particularly members of the APC to remain calm in the face of this intimidation which will come to pass as did other evil machination by desperate politicians.

Osinbajo urges stakeholders to fight against fake news

Saminu Sani

BBC World service Today organized a one day Conference to discuss the harmful effects of the spread of fake News and it’s potential impact on the country as the 2019 general elections approaches.

Vice president , Professor Yemi Osinbajo while addressing participants tasked them to come up with possible ways of dealing with the consequences of fake News without infringing on the rights of the people .

Director, BBC World service group, Jamie Angus said education is one of the major tools that can be used to tackle the rising spate of fake News or misinformation.

Also speaking , Nobel Laureaute, professor Wole shoyinka said it is high time Nigerians stop treating fake news as a domestic issue hence the need for all to join hands in fighting the growing trend of fake News during elections .

Representative of INEC , Festus Okoye said INEC will be holding weekly press briefings to update Nigerians during the election to avoid the trend of fake News.

Nigeria 2019: countering fake News which began today is part of the BBC ‘s beyond Fake News season .

Kuje residents of FCT fear exclusion in coming election

Saminu Sani

Some Residents of Kuje Area council have expressed the fear of being disenfranchise in this year’s general election.
They made their position known while interacting with journalist at the office of the Independent National Electoral Commission , INEC, in Kuje Area council of the Federal Capital Territory.
According to them, haven registered during the continuous voters registration centre since 2017, their continued visit to the commission’s office for the collection of their permanent voter card have not yielded positive result.
Those who succeeded in collecting their PVCs in the ongoing distribution exercise complained of slow pace of the process, a situation they say could discourage some prospective voters who may not have the patience of waiting in the long queue

Buhari reinstates commitment over national minimum wage

By Saminu Sani

President Muhammadu Buhari says that contrary to fears in some quarters, his administration is committed to a review of the National minimum wage.

The President who said this before inaugurating the technical advisory committee on the implementation of an increase in the national minimum wage on Wednesday at the Aso Rock Villa, noted that the last time workers salary was reviewed was in 2011.

To this end, the federal government has made adequate provision in the 2018 budget appropriation to the national assembly for a new minimum wage.

While noting that the trapatite committee set up in November 2017 to consider a national minimum wage and make recommendation to government was done in good faith, noted that there will be a salary review for those who are already earning above the new minimum wage.

The 24-man committee has Bismarck Rewane as chairman while Ben Akabueze will serve as secretary.